In the Protocol ‘modern biotechnology’ is referred to as the application of fusion of cells beyond the taxonomic family (called ‘in vitro nucleic acid’ techniques) that overcome natural physiological reproductive or recombination barriers and are not techniques used in traditional breeding and selection. The term Living modified organism (LMO) is defined as the processing of any material that is of LMO origin, containing detectable novel combinations of replicable genetic material obtained through the use of modern biotechnology (for instance, flour from genetically modified maize). The LMOs intended for direct use as food or feed, or for processing are agricultural commodities from genetically modified crops (http://www.gmo-free-regions.org/glossary.html Accessed 26.11.16.). Although the Protocol did not use the term genetically modified organism, the LMO is almost equivalent to the GMO, which is any organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques (i.e., a genetically engineered organism). A more popular name of the GMO is ‘transgenic organism’
EDU266 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
Teaching of Science (EDU266)
Total Marks: 20
Lesson 8 -15
• Late assignments will not be accepted.
• If the file is corrupt or problematic, it will be marked zero.
• Plagiarism will never be tolerated. Plagiarism occurs when a student uses work done by someone else as if it was his or her own; however, taking the ideas from different sources and expressing them in your own words will be encouraged.
• No assignment will be accepted via e-mail.
• The solution file should be in Word document format; the font color should be preferably black and font size should be 12 Times New Roman.
- Differentiate between transparent, translucent and opaque objects with examples. (10 marks)
- Define assessment. Elaborate its characteristics and types. (10 marks)