Semester Fall 2019
MGT611-Business & Labor Law
Assignment No. 01
DUE DATE: 14th November, 2019
Read the examples given below and answer the questions. (4 marks each)
- Bader, the owner of Mashoor Farms, sent one of his employees Aftab in search of his pet horse which had been missing for 5 days. Bader advertised a reward of Rs. 20,000 in a newspaper for anyone who finds his missing horse. Aftab, unaware of the newspaper advertisement, traced the horse. Subsequently, on knowing about the reward Aftab claimed it from Bader.
Under the provisions of the Contract Act, 1872 identify the type of offer which was made by Bader. Also state whether Aftab would be able to claim the amount of reward under the circumstances.
- Mohsin promised Ahsan that he will pay his university fee. Later Mohsin suffered losses in his business and refused to pay the fee. Mohisn is of the view that since the agreement was without consideration, it does not constitute a valid contract. However, Ahsan believes that the agreement is enforceable under law as it meets certain other conditions.
You are required to narrate the conditions which Ahsan may be referring to.
- Mr. A promises Mr. B to sell his horse after one month to Mr. B for Rs. 50,000. Before the completion of one month, the horse died. State whether the contract can be performed or not. Also mention the legal status of this contract.
- Mr. X threatens Mr. Y with dire consequences unless Mr. Y enters into a contract to sell a piece of land to Mr. X at Rs. 1 lac. Is this a valid contract? Justify your answer with reason.
- Asif stole cash and merchandise from the ABC Store. Basit, the owner of store, initiated legal proceedings against him. Asif contacted Basit with an offer to return the stolen cash and merchandise if Basit withdraws the suit. Basit accepted the offer. Is it a valid agreement? Discuss.
24 hours extra / grace period after the due date is usually available to overcome uploading difficulties. This extra time should only be used to meet the emergencies and above mentioned due dates should always be treated as final to avoid any inconvenience.
Important Instructions/ Solution Guidelines/ Special Instructions
DO YOUR WORK CLEAN & COMPLETE
Other Important Instructions:
Make sure to upload the solution file before the due date on VULMS.
Any submission made via email after the due date will not be accepted.
Use the font style “Times New Roman” or “Arial” and font size “12”.
It is advised to compose your document in MS-Word format.
You may also compose your assignment in Open Office format.
Use black and blue font colors only.
Use APA style for referencing and citation. For guidance search “APA reference style” in Google and read various websites containing information for better understanding or visit
Rules for Marking:
Please note that your assignment will not be graded or graded as Zero (0), if:
It is submitted after the due date.
The file you uploaded does not open or is corrupt.
It is in any format other than MS-Word or Open Office; e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, PDF etc.
It is cheated or copied from other students, internet, books, journals etc.
Note related to load shedding: Please be proactive
As you know that Pre Mid-Term semester activities have started and load shedding problem is also prevailing in our country. Keeping in view the fact, you all are advised to post your activities as early as possible without waiting for the due date.