Assignment No. 1 Semester: Spring 2019 CS614 – Data Warehousing
Assignment No. 1
Semester: Spring 2019
CS614 – Data Warehousing
Total Marks: 20
May 15, 2019
After completing this assignment the students will be able to:
• Identify Database entities from a given scenario
• Understand the database table structure
• Normalize a database table up to 3rd normal form
Please read the following instructions carefully before submitting assignment:
It should be clear that your assignment will not get any credit if:
o Assignment is submitted after due date.
o Submitted assignment does not open or file is corrupt.
o Assignment is copied (From internet/ to from students).
o Assignment is submitted other than word format (.doc, .docx).
XYZ company was established in 1989 in Karachi and deals in the business of garments export. There are 250 permanent employees that are working with XYZ company. XYZ’s admin department is maintaining employee’s leave records in hard form. The leave form currently in practice is shown below:
Now XYZ company wants you to design a Database solution for their organization, you are required to develop a database that is normalized up to the 3rd Normal form. In the future, this database can be used for developing front end application.
A raw table structure along with attributes are provided by the XYZ’s management to start your working on it, is as following;
employeeLeaveForm (employeeID, empName, designation, officeName, dateOfFill, leaveType, leaveFromDate, leaveToDate, leaveReason, leaveAddress, leaveContactNo, leaveProcessDate, leaveStatus, leaveProcessedBy),
Sample data for the table is provided on VULMS for your reference. To view / download this data, use the following link;
You have to use exact given attributes names while normalizing this table to 3rd Normal form.
Instructions to solve assignment:
- Use table employeeLeaveForm and attributes in it. You are not allowed to remove any of the provided attributes
- You may introduce new tables by using the same attributes in employeeLeaveForm and also add new attributes for indexing / normalization purpose
- You are also required to declare Primary and Foreign Keys from the provided list of attributes (Also represent them with suitable DB notation while writing table schema)
- Transform the table in 3rd normal form step by step i.e. First Normal form transformation then into 2nd normal form and then into 3rd. Also, mention the title of Normal Form before the transformation.
- Direct transform relation into 3rd normal form would result in zero marks whether your solution is correct. And this will be imposed strictly while marking this assignment with no later excuses.
- Example of resultant tables / solution should be in the form provided below:
tableNo1 (attribute1, attribute2, …)
tableNo2 (attributeX, attributeY, …)
tableNo3 (attributeI, attributeX, …)
attribute1, attributeX and attributeI (with solid underline) are primary keys in tableNo1, tableNo2 and tableNo3 respectively while attribute (With dotted underline) is foreign key in tableNo3 from referee tableNo2.
Your assignment must be uploaded on VULMS on or before May 15, 2019. While May 16, 2019 will be a bonus day for assignment submission. After the bonus day, no assignment would be entertained via email.
SOLVED CS508 Quiz No. 1 Solution and Discussion
CS508 - Modern Programming Languages12
SOLVED CS432 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
CS432 - Network Modeling and Simulation8
SOLVED CS605 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
CS605 - Software EngineeringII8
SOLVED FRL101 Quiz 2 Solution and Discussion
SOLVED CS625 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
CS625 - Professional Practices4
SOLVED CS411 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
CS411 - Visual Programming4
SOLVED CS703 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
CS703 - Advanced Operating Systems4
SOLVED CS432 Assignment 1 Solution and Discussion
CS432 - Network Modeling and Simulation4
SOLVED MGT713 GDB 1 Solution and Discussion
MGT713 - Production / Operations Management3
SOLVED EDU508 Assignment 1 Solution and Discussion
EDU508 - Teaching of English Language3
SOLVED BNK611 Quiz 2 Solution and Discussion
BNK611 - Economic Ideology in Islam3
SOLVED ACC311 Quiz 2 Solution and Discussion
ACC311- Fundamentals of Auditing3
SOLVED MTH633 Assignment 1 Solution and Discussion
MTH633 - Group Theory3
SOLVED FIN725 GDB 1 Solution and Discussion
FIN725 - Credit & Risk Management3
SOLVED CS202 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
CS202 - Fundamentals of Front End Development3
SOLVED CS001 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
CS001- Computer Proficiency License3
SOLVED EDU304 Assignment 1 Solution and Discussion
EDU304 - Introduction to Guidance and Counseling3
SOLVED CS310 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
CS310 - Open Source Web Application Development (PHP, PERL, CGI, Mysql)3
SOLVED CS606 Assignment 1 Solution and Discussion
CS606 - Compiler Construction3
SOLVED CS314 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
CS314 - Introduction to Cellular Networks3