ENG507 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
Phonetics and Phonology (Eng507)
Assignment No. 2
Total Marks: 20
• Upload your assignments in a proper format, i.e. MS word file. Corrupt files will be awarded zero marks.
• The assignments should be zoomed in at 100%.
• Please avoid plagiarism; plagiarized work will be marked zero.
• After the due date, the assignments submitted via email would not be entertained.
• Please avoid submitting copied assignments; otherwise, such a case would be referred to the discipline committee.
• The font color should be preferably black and font size 12 Times New Roman.
Q1. In order to classify vowels (independent of the vowel system of a particular language), the English phonetician Daniel Jones introduced a system in the early 20th century and worked out on a set of vowels called the “cardinal vowels” comprising eight vowels to be used as reference points. Read further about the cardinal vowels and explain in what ways they are useful for the phoneticians. Also, draw the figure for the primary cardinal vowel system. (7+3=10 Marks)
Q2. If we mention about the stress within a word i.e. ‘Lexical Stress’, we define the term ‘stress’ as syllable prominence (Ball and Rahilly, 1999:105). You are required to read the statements given in the table, identify the category and mark the stressed syllable in capital letters of the underlined words in the respective columns. (5+5=10 Marks)
Note: First statement is solved for your reference.
Sr. Sentence Word Category Capitalize the stressed syllable 1. His bike is his only means of transport. Noun TRANSport 2. The country’s exportsare highly valued in the international market. 3. The general ordersand soldiers obey. 4. Just leaveeverything to me. 5. “What’s the damage?” he asked the waiter. 6. Each of the four parts of an IP addresscan have from one to three digits.