What were the reasons behind failure of war of independence?
Arooj Chaudhry last edited by
Reasons behind failure of war of independence
Following are the main reasons behind the failure of war of independence:
1) Limited Rebellion:
- Area of revolt remained limited
- Even complete North Indian didn’t part in it.
- It was limited by some neighborly territories.
2) Better equipped Britishers:
- The British had better resources than the rebels.
- Gradually, the English army had a lot of resources.
- The telegraph proved very much useful for the English.
3) The native ruler’s “Misgivings”:
- Many native rulers were with the British.
- The rulers of Patilia, Jinol, Hyderabad, etc supported the British at all.
4) Opposition from Intelligentsia:
- The Indian intelligentsia didn’t support the rebels.
- The revolt could neither be organised nor fed on intellegentual and emotional ground.
5) Lacking of strategy:
- Primary source of the failure of the war is planned efforts.
- Absence of central organisation and inferiority in general ship, military skills, strategy and discipline of rebel as compared to the Britishers.
6) Lack of leadership:
- Absence of capable leaders
- None of the leader are capable and good commanders.
- There is no one in those leaders who are willing to guide their people in good direction.
7) Diplomacy of English:
*The Britishers succeeded through their good leadership and well trained army. And well trained military commanders like Neil, Nicoloson, Havelock and Huge Rose.
- The diplomatic skills of the British were also responsible for thier success.