Assignment No. 3
Semester: Spring 2020
CS201 – Introduction to Programming Total Marks: 20
Due Date: 23/07/2020
Please read the following instructions carefully before submitting assignment:
It should be clear that your assignment will not get any credit if:
o Assignment is submitted after due date.
o Submitted assignment does not open or file is corrupt.
o Assignment is copied (From internet/students).
Software allowed to develop Assignment
To enable students to understand and practice the concepts of:
• File handling
Assignment Submission Instructions
You have to submit only .cpp file on the assignments interface of CS201 at VULMS. Assignment submitted in any other format will not be accepted and will be graded zero marks.
Please note again, assignment submitted other than .cpp format will get zero marks.
Assume you are working as a sports data analyst for a university named “ABC University”. Your job is to collect data of different players and judge their performance. Based on the data collected from players, their performance for a given season will be analyzed and comparison among players of the team will be made for selection. For this purpose, you are required to write a program in C++ that will create a class named “Sports”. The class will create a file named “Sample.txt” in the current directory. You will use file handling mechanism for entering player’s information. Following tasks are required:
• You are required to create a class named “Sports”.
• Declare three data members of Sports class named playername, game_name and total_wins with appropriate data types.
• The class will consist of 6 functions named input_file(), read_file(), notstartingwithA(), lower(), upper() and digit() respectively along with a default constructor. The description of each function is given with the screenshots in the “Sample output”.
• In the main() function an object of the class “Sports” will be created and it will be used along with switch statement to call the functions mentioned above. i.e. input_file(), read_file(), notstartingwithA(), lower(), upper() and digit().
• Initially a menu will be displayed consisting of different choices as shown below:
• User will enter a choice from the choices given in the menu. Output of each selected number is shown in the output samples below for detailed description.
• In the first step the following menu will appear at the output screen.
• User will first populate file “Sample.txt” before reading the file as given below.
• The function named input_file() will take input from user and store it in the file named “Sample.txt”. If a user wants to enter second record, the first record in the file will not be deleted; rather new data will be added at the end of the file.
• The function read_file() will read all data stored in the file “Sample.txt” from start to end.
• The function notstartingwithA() will check the file and find all lines of the file “Sample.txt” that are not started with character “A” including blank lines. E.g. the above data will consists of 3 lines in the file. notstartingwithA() function will count all those line and display the count on output screen as given below.
• The function lower() will find all those lines that are started with lower characters in the file “Sample.txt” and display the count on outputs screen as given below.
• The function upper() will find all those lines that are started with an upper case character in the file “Sample.txt” and display the count on outputs screen as given below.
• The function digit() will find all those lines that are started with a digits in the file “Sample.txt” and display the count on output screen.
• Program will also check for invalid choices as given below.
Best of luck
Lectures Covered: (Lecture # 17- 27) and Solution Deadline: (23/07/2020).