Pace Carol Tomlinson, it’s not clear to me that these items make sense to kids. I mean, when’s the last time you heard a student talk that way about a teacher or a class?
Latest posts made by Faaizaa
RE: Student perception surveys are a more accurate
CS614 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion Spring 2020
Assignment No. 2
Semester: Spring 2020
CS614 – Data Warehousing
Total Marks: 15
June 17, 2020
After completing this assignment, the students will be able to:
• De-Normalize the given table using horizontal splitting technique
• Calculate the Total space used with normalization.
• Calculate the Total space used after de-normalization.
Please read the following instructions carefully before submitting assignment:
It should be clear that your assignment will not get any credit if:
• Assignment is submitted after due date.
• Submitted assignment does not open or file is corrupt.
• Assignment is copied (From internet/ to from students).
• Assignment is submitted other than word format (.doc, .docx).
Question No. 1
Consider the following table having the information of students of a university:
Student ID Student Name Campus ID Student Age Degree Program 1 Ali VLHR01 27 MS 2 Kamran VISB01 24 BS 3 Akmal VRWP01 24 BS 4 Ahmad VLHR01 26 MS 5 Rehan VISB01 23 BS 6 Rizwan VRWP01 29 MS 7 Umer VISB01 25 BS 8 Javed VLHR01 26 MS
You are required to completely de-normalize the above table using “horizontal splitting” on the basis of Degree Program.
Question No. 2
Consider the following normalized tables for a telecommunication company showing the daily call record details of customers:
Customer Info Customer_ID Customer Phone No. Balance 1 033XXXXX 300 2 033YYYYY 250 3 033ZZZZZZ 300 4 033AAAAA 1000 5 033BBBBB 80 6 033CCCCC 554
Call record detail Call_ID Customer_ID Dialled Phone Number Duration Call Charges 1 1 032ABCVD 1 minute 2 RS 2 1 032ABCVG 2 minutes 4 RS 3 1 032ABCVD 1 minute 2 RS 4 2 032ANNNN 3 minutes 6 RS 5 2 032AMMM 4 minutes 8 RS 6 3 033RRRRR 1 minute 2 RS
… … … … …
Due to certain performance factors company wants to de-normalize the tables using pre-joining technique.
Table Information is given below:
• Assume 1:4 record count ratio between customer Info (master) and Call record detail (detail).
• Assume 15 million customers.
• Assume 10 byte Customer_ID.
• Assume 50 byte header for customer Info (master) and 80 byte header for Call record detail (detail) tables.
You are required to perform the following tasks:
• Calculate the Total space in GBs used with normalization.
• Calculate the Total space in GBs used after de-normalization.
Your assignment must be uploaded on VULMS on or before June 17, 2020. While June 18, 2020 will be a bonus day for assignment submission. After the bonus day, no assignment would be entertained via email.