Assignment No. 02
SEMESTER Spring 2020
CS403- Database Management System
Total Marks: 20
Due Date: 15/06/2020
Please read the following instructions carefully before solving & submitting assignment:
It should be clear that your assignment will not get any credit if:
• The assignment is submitted after due date.
• The submitted assignment does not open or file corrupt.
• The assignment is fully or partially copied (from other student or ditto copy from handouts or internet).
• Student ID is not mentioned in the assignment File or name of file is other than student ID.
• The assignment is not submitted in .doc or .docx format.
Your submission must include:
• Assignment should be in .doc or .docx format.
• Save your assignment with your ID (e.g. bx020200786.doc).
• Assignment submission through email is NOT acceptable.
The objectives of this assignment are:
• To be able to understand Logical Database Design
• To be able to perform different relational algebra operations
Your answer must follow the below given specifications.
• Font style: “Times New Roman”
• Font color: “Black”
• Font size: “12”
• Bold for heading only.
• Font in Italic is not allowed at all.
• No formatting or bullets are allowed to use.
• Your answer should be precise and to the point, avoid irrelevant detail.
Lectures Covered: This assignment covers Lecture # 14 - 17
Your assignment must be uploaded/submitted on or before 15/06/2020.
Our second assignment is the continuation of our first assignment.
In the first assignment one question is related to entity relationship data model.
The entity relationship diagram is given below:
Now in second assignment, you are required to perform the following tasks:
- Convert the above entity relationship diagram into relational data model. You have to convert all the three important components (entities, attributes and relationships between different entities) of the entity relationship diagram into relational data model.
- Consider the following tables and perform cross matrix of Shelve, Medicine and Pharmacist
(Shelve X Medicine X Pharmacist)
Pharm_id Name Address
Ph001 Ahmad Lahore
Ph002 Tahir Islamabad
Ph003 Ather Karachi
Med_id Name Price Expiry_date
Md001 Panadol 20 22/2/2022
Md002 Disprin 20 22/3/2023
Md003 Brufen 40 22/4/2024
Find the degree and cardinality of the following tables (given in 2nd question):
Table Cardinality Degree
Perform the following operations on the mentioned table and write the corresponding output:
σ Address == ‘Islamabad’ (Pharmacist)
∏ Med_id, Name, Expiry_date (σ Price<= 20 (Medicine))
Consider the following relations/tables and perform the following binary operations and write the output:
- (Shelve) U (CreditCard)
- (CreditCard) – (Shelve)
For any query about the assignment, contact at [email protected]vu.edu.pk