Posts made by Fouzia Suleman
MGT201 Assignment 1 Solution and Discussion
Stock valuation and Bond Valuation
Bonds and stocks are two primary securities traded on approximately all stock exchanges of the world because of its potential, reliability, and better trade volume. Besides all these pro, risk taking behavior of different investors and the features associated with each class of security are vital ones that attract investors for earning a handsome return. Stocks are considered more risky with higher return, whereas bonds accounted low risk investment with guaranteed return. However, most investors formulate a portfolio of their investment with combination of bonds and stocks for optimal return with a lesser degree of risk due to diversification edge involved in it.
The formulation of such portfolio lies upon market factors and company specific factors. The optimal return only can be achieved by better judgment of both factors and evaluation of intrinsic prices of securities by some fundamental methods.
A new investor wants to add bonds and shares in his portfolio and he has two options available with the following information.
I. Company ABC issued a five-year bond with face value of Rs.1,000. The bond offers 12% semiannual coupon payment. The market interest rate for such type of investment is 14% per annum while current market price of bond is Rs.940.
II. The stock of company XYZ is being sold at Rs.54 per share while the forecasted dividend is Rs.6 for first year and Rs.7 for the second year. The price of the stock after year 2 is expected to be Rs.55. The Company paid most recent dividend as Rs.5 whereas the rate of return for such type of investment is 14% per annum.
You are required to help the investor in valuation of both investment options by calculating:
- Intrinsic value of the bond. (8 marks)
- Intrinsic Value of stock today. (8 marks)
- Identify either bond and stocks are overvalued or undervalued. Justify your answer with proper calculation and reasoning. (4 Marks)
NOTE: Formula and complete working is mandatory in each part, provide complete
calculations in order to avoid marks deduction.
24 hours extra / grace period after the due date is usually available to overcome uploading difficulties. This extra time should only be used to meet the emergencies and above mentioned due dates should always be treated as final to avoid any inconvenience.
IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS/ SOLUTION GUIDELINES/ SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS DEADLINE:
• Make sure to upload the solution file before the due date on VULMS
• Any submission made via email after the due date will not be accepted FORMATTING GUIDELINES:
• Use the font style “Times New Roman” or “Arial” and font size “12”
• It is advised to compose your document in MS-Word format
• You may also compose your assignment in Open Office format
• Use black and blue font colour only RULES FOR MARKING
• Please note that your assignment will not be graded or graded as Zero (0), if:
• It is submitted after the due date.
• The file you uploaded does not open or is corrupt.
• It is in any format other than MS-Word or Open Office; e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, PDF etc.
• Not submitted as per given format
• It is cheated or copied from other students, internet, books, journals etc.
Note related to load shedding:
As you know that semester activities have started and load shedding problem is also prevailing in our country. Keeping in view the fact, you all are advised to post your activities as early as possible without waiting for the due date. For your convenience; activity schedule has already been uploaded on VULMS for the current semester, therefore no excuse will be entertained after due date of assignments or GDBs.
Best of Luck!!