CS707 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
Assignment No. 02
Semester: Fall 2019
CS707: Network Security Total Marks: 20
Please read the following instructions carefully before submitting assignment:
It should be clear that your assignment will not get any credit if:
The assignment is submitted after due date.
The submitted assignment does not open or file is corrupt.
Solution is copied from any other source.
The objective of this assignment is to;
Learn and practice using OpenSSL tool
Learn creation of public and private keys
Practical usage of AES and RSA algorithms for Encryption/Decryption
In this assignment, we will be using OpenSLL tool to create your public and private keys and then use the same to encrypt and decrypt simple text file containing your VU student ID and name. This assignment is very simple and basic level in order to provide basic understanding of the working of security algorithms using OpenSSL tool. All you need is download and install OpenSLL, and run simple commands as desired in Task 1 and Task 2.
Step 1: Download OpenSLL (32bit or 64bit) from official website as per your system configuration from following link or course download section
See following tutorial (first 04 min) for installation of OpenSSL
Step 2: Carefully read the content and material available at following links which provides necessary details about the working and usage of OpenSSL tool.
Task 1: Reveal the Secret Code
• SecretCode.txt file attached with this assignment contains a secret code and your task is to decrypt this file to get the secret code. This file is encrypted using AES algorithm with Electronic Code Book (ECB) mode having key size of 256-bits. Encryption password is abc123.
• After successful decryption, what is the secret code inside SecretCode.txt file?
Task 2 Decrypt Data File
• You need to use RSA algorithm to decrypt a given file EncryptedDataFile.txt.
• Both public key and private key files are also attached with assignment.
• The EncryptedDataFile.txt file is encrypted using public key.
• You task to decrypt EncryptedDataFile.txt file and reveal its contents in plain text format.
You are required to submit your solution in WM Word format containing:
• Revealed secret code inside SecretCode.txt file in plain text format.
• Revealed contents of inside EncryptedDataFile.txt file in plain text format.