BT605 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
Assignment No. 2
BT605 – Biosafety & Bioethics
Total Marks: 10
Due date: 14-01-2020
• Make sure that you upload the solution file before due date. No assignment will be accepted through e-mail after the due date.
• Use the font style “Times New Roman” and font size “12”.
• Compose your document in MS-Word, any file created in any other format will not be accepted and assigned zero mark.
• Use black and blue font colors only.
• To solve this assignment, you should have good command over lectures 68-105.
• This is not a group assignment, it is an individual assignment so be careful and avoid copying others’ work
• Plagiarism of assignment file (MS Word) will be checked. There will be negative marking in case of plagiarism detected.
• Give the answer according to question only and avoid irrelevant details.
Please note that your assignment will not be graded if:
• It is submitted after due date
• The file you uploaded does not open
• The file you uploaded is copied from someone else
• It is in format other than .doc
• Cheating or copying of assignment is strictly prohibited. The cheated or copied assignment will be marked ‘Zero’.
Question No. 1
Discuss the importance and applications of Biosafety. (1 X 10 =10)
In the Protocol ‘modern biotechnology’ is referred to as the application of fusion of cells beyond the taxonomic family (called ‘in vitro nucleic acid’ techniques) that overcome natural physiological reproductive or recombination barriers and are not techniques used in traditional breeding and selection. The term Living modified organism (LMO) is defined as the processing of any material that is of LMO origin, containing detectable novel combinations of replicable genetic material obtained through the use of modern biotechnology (for instance, flour from genetically modified maize). The LMOs intended for direct use as food or feed, or for processing are agricultural commodities from genetically modified crops (http://www.gmo-free-regions.org/glossary.html Accessed 26.11.16.). Although the Protocol did not use the term genetically modified organism, the LMO is almost equivalent to the GMO, which is any organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques (i.e., a genetically engineered organism). A more popular name of the GMO is ‘transgenic organism’
Lucette Flandroy - Federal public Service Health, Food Chain Safety and Environment, DG Environment, Service of Multilateral and Strategic Affairs. Presently involved in Biodiversity and Biosafety issues, at national, European and international level. Concerning Biodiversity, mainly involved in biodiversity and health links, as a part of ecosystem services and their valuation, in the national Community of Practice related to this issue. Concerning Biosafety, mainly involved in application and evolution of legislations and international agreements concerning risk evaluation and management of GMOs and concerning the socio-economic considerations related to them. National focal point of the Cartagena Protocol.
Discuss the importance and applications of Biosafety
Biosafety is used to protect from harmful incidents. Many laboratories handling biohazards employ an ongoing risk management assessment and enforcement process for biosafety. Failures to follow such protocols can lead to increased risk of exposure to biohazards or pathogens.