Morphology and Syntax (Eng509)
Assignment No. 2
Total Marks: 20
• Upload your assignments in a proper format, i.e. MS word file. Corrupt files will be awarded zero marks.
• The assignments should be zoomed in at 100%.
• Please avoid plagiarism; plagiarized work will be marked zero.
• After the due date, the assignments submitted via email would not be entertained.
• Please avoid submitting copied assignments; otherwise, such a case would be referred to the discipline committee.
• The font color should be preferably black and font size 12 Times New Roman.
Q1. One definition of syntax implies that we start from what is regarded as the largest unit of syntactic description, i.e. the sentence and proceed until we arrive at the smallest meaningful unit (top-to-bottom). What is the other way of analyzing a text piece? Elaborate with at least one example. Listen to topic video 138 for guidance. (10 Marks)
Q2. While analyzing a sentence, we should try to identify and isolate as many phrases as we can. These phrases or constituents fall into various grammatical categories and therefore they are named after their relevant grammatical class. Read and listen to topics 153-161 and write down the different types of phrases discussed in your course. Also, provide one example against each phrase. (5*2=10 Marks)