Semantics and Pragmatics (ENG 508)
Assignment No. 1
Total Marks: 20
• Upload your assignments in a proper format, i.e. MS word file. Corrupt files will be awarded zero marks.
• The assignments should be zoomed in at 100%.
• Please avoid plagiarism; plagiarized work will be marked zero.
• After the due date, the assignments submitted via email would not be entertained.
• Please avoid submitting copied assignments; otherwise, such a case would be referred to the discipline committee.
• The font color should be preferably black and font size 12 Times New Roman.
Q1. Semantics is the study of meaning, but what we mean by ‘meaning’ is disputed among the linguists. Read about the different theories of ‘meaning’ (given in the handouts) and then answer the following questions:
a) Which of the given theories of meaning is best suited to the linguistic facts?
b) How can the words fail to mean what they mean?
(5+5= 10 Marks)
Q2. “Idea Theory” explains the pattern show languages express meaning in terms of concepts, thoughts or ideas. Read about the Idea Theory and then discuss the major challenges faced by the “Idea Theory”. (10 Marks)