Phonetics and Phonology (Eng507)
Assignment No. 1
Total Marks: 20
• Upload your assignments in a proper format, i.e. MS word file. Corrupt files will be awarded zero marks.
• The assignments should be zoomed in at 100%.
• Please avoid plagiarism; plagiarized work will be marked zero.
• After the due date, the assignments submitted via email would not be entertained.
• Please avoid submitting copied assignments; otherwise, such a case would be referred to the discipline committee.
• The font color should be preferably black and font size 12 Times New Roman.
Q1a. A phoneme is the smallest meaningful unit of sound (therefore, a smallest unit in phonology) in a language. Phoneme is also described as a group of sounds having the ability to change meaning. Write down the phonemic transcription of the following words in RP; also identify and write the number of phonemes each word carries.
||Phonemic Transcription in RP
||Number of Phonemes
Q1b. Bear and bare are spelt differently but pronounced the same, ‘beǝ’ in Received Pronunciation (RP). Make a list of four other pairs of words which are spelt differently but pronounced in the same way. (6+4=10 Marks)
Q2. ‘θ’ and ‘ð’ are the confusing fricatives for English language learners. Transcribe the following words by identifying the correct fricative phoneme in each word.