Question. 2 Marks 10
Mr. “Omar” is an HR coordinator at XYZ University. He receives an E-mail containing a message that, “Your University’s E-mail account password will be expired within 24 hours” from some fake E-mail account pretending to be the legitimate E-mail from University. Mr. “Omar” is redirected to a fake password renewal page i.e.“xyzcuniversity.edurenewal.com” where both new and existing passwords are requested. The cyber attacker is monitoring the page and hacks the original password to gain access.
Keeping in view the above scenario, answer the following questions:
Mention the cyber-crime name, which is occurring in the scenario.
Mention the category of cyber-crime.
Mention all possible prevention measures for such type of cyber-crimes.
Solution:Phishing Attack , Data theft or Email Spoofing Cyber-Crime against property
• Learn to Identify Suspected Phishing Emails
• Check the Source of Information from Incoming Mail
• Do not click on hyperlinks or links attached in the email, as it might direct you to a fraudulent website.
• Type in the URL directly into your browser or use bookmarks / favorites if you want to go faster.
• Enhance the Security of Your Computer
• Update on your operating system and web browsers.
• Enter Your Sensitive Data in Secure Websites Only
• The best way to prevent phishing is to consistently reject any email or news that asks you to provide confidential data.
• Delete these emails and ask your university to clarify any doubts.
• Check Back Frequently to Read About the Evolution of Malware