Assignment No. 1
Total Marks: 20
• Upload your assignments in a proper format, i.e. MS word file. Corrupt files will be awarded zero marks.
• The assignments should be zoomed in at 100%.
• Please avoid plagiarism; plagiarized work will be marked zero.
• After the due date, the assignments submitted via email would not be entertained.
• Please avoid submitting copied assignments; otherwise, such a case would be referred to the discipline committee.
• The font color should be preferably black and font size 12 Times New Roman.
Q1. According to Holmes (2001), sociolinguistics is the study that is concerned with the relationship between language and the context in which it is used. Considering this definition, explain how language choices are determined according to the context. Also, discuss what type of relationship exists between language and society. Give examples to prove your point of view. (5=5+10 Marks)
Q2. Differentiate between the terms ‘dialect’ and ‘language’ giving their exact definitions. Listen to the topic video 33 carefully and elaborate the four processes a language undergoes to become a standard language. (2+ 4*2=10 Marks)