Introduction to Literature: Short Story and Poetry (ENG401)
Assignment No. 2
Total Marks: 20
• Upload your assignments in a proper format, i.e. MS word file. Corrupt files will be awarded zero marks.
• The assignments should be zoomed in at 100%.
• Please avoid plagiarism; plagiarized work will be marked zero.
• After the due date, the assignments submitted via email would not be entertained.
• Please avoid submitting copied assignments; otherwise, such a case would be referred to the discipline committee.
• The font color should be preferably black and font size 12 Times New Roman.
Q1. ‘Hollowness of upper classes’ is a theme predominant in several notable works, for example, the Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant, the Garden Party by Katherine Mansfield, etc. Write a short critical note on ‘hollowness of the upper classes’ and give references from ‘The Garden Party’ and ‘The Necklace’ to support your answer.
Q2. ‘The Devil’ by Guy de Maupassant presents a great commentary on the injustices of life, the greed and selfishness of human beings and the helplessness of a dying person. Maupassant, the father of modern short story genre, explores with the intellect rather than with the emotions, the flaws of human nature and investigates the meaning of love and compassion when one is truly dependent on someone. Keeping this in reference, analyze the story’s characters and identify, who is the real devil of this story? (10 Marks)