Write a note on Allahabad Address.
Arooj Chaudhry last edited by
Allama Iqbal delivered lectures on Islam in Aligarh, Hyderabad and Madras from 1928 to 1929. At Allahabad, he presided over the meeting and delivered his famous address. The address was delivered in December 1930 in which Iqbal presented a review of the political and social situation of India and solution of the ills befalling India. He evaluated the importance of role of Islam in the lives of Muslims of Britain India. He said that the European view of duality of religion and state does not apply here in the Indian society. Rejecting the secularism he said,“Religion is not a totally personal affair”.
He explained that Islam offers an ethical order, socio-political structure, legal framework, code of life, culture and civilisation. It is a living, dynamic force that has a profound impact on the lives of Indian Muslims. With the force of Islam, the scattered and disoriented people have been turned into an organized force.
The Muslims are not willing to submerge their religious individuality. They have lack of trust and fear of domination from Hindus. If the British want any sort of internal harmony, it would be impossible unless the communal question is settled. It’s historical reality that India is a continent inhabited by diverse people. No political arrangement may be acceptable without recognizing this reality.
- If the Muslims have an opportunity to develop in accordance with their Islamic civilisation and tradition, they would be willing to sacrifice their lives for India.
- Federalism cannot succeed without recognizing the national identity of the Muslims.
- Territorial redistribution of British India on the basis of religion has become a need of time.
- Punjab, Sindh, NWFP and Balochistan be amalgamated into a State, self government within the British empire or without it. The formation of such a consolidated North Western Muslim State appears to be the final destiny of the Muslims, at least of North West India. To India, it will offer peace and security due to internal balance of power.
- Islam is a people building force in India that has given moral consciousness and political identity to the people.