Principles of Management (MGT503) FALL 2020 Due Date: 8th February, 2021 Total Marks: 20
Assignment 01What can be appropriate organizational design decisions based on the following contingency factors: (15 Marks)
Objective of the activity: The objective of this assignment is to make students able to recognize
different organizational structures along with the contingency factors impacting organizations during period of global crises such as COVID 19.
After attempting this activity, students will be able to:
Comprehend basic contingency factors surrounding organizations.
Come up with the strategies which organization should adopt in future to work effectively
due to uncertain circumstances.
A new trendy and catchy managerial acronym now days is “VUCA”, stands for volatility, uncertainty, complexity, and ambiguity. These are four different types of situations requiring different types of responses. COVID-19 has brought unprecedented challenges for organizations and “VUCA” has become a new normal. The old ritual of dictating work by the top management to the subordinates, and ensuring that all tasks have been finally operated and executed is fading due to prevalent pandemic. This requires a change in strategy, otherwise they would be at disadvantage.
By calling attention to this and other limitations of traditional organizational structures, COVID-19 is speeding up the pace of necessary change. Organizations have been naturally put into situation where they have to modernize, for example, working remotely. Here, those organizations which were previously having less rigid structure have embraced this change easily. However, this sudden need of change has created opportunities to come up with new strategies
and affective ways of doing work.
For the organization which are transitioning from traditional to work remotely/virtually;
a) Strategy and structure
c) Environmental uncertainty and structure
2. What crucial points should organizations keep into consideration by going from “new normal” to “back to normal”, when COVID-19 crises fades? (5 Marks)
Important note: do not write unnecessary details. Irrelevant material will be marked zero straight away. Word limit for each part of question in 50 words. Moreover, plagiarized work will be treated same way. Do not claim afterwards that your work is not plagiarized.
24 hours grace period after the due date is usually available for assignment to overcome uploading difficulties. This extra time should only be used to meet the emergencies and above mentioned due date should always be treated as final to avoid any inconvenience.
Other Important Instructions: Deadline:
Make sure to upload the solution file before the due date on VULMS.
Any submission made via email after the due date will not be accepted.
Use the font style “Times New Roman” or “Arial” and font size “12”.
It is advised to compose your document in MS-Word format.
You may also compose your assignment in Open Office format.
Use black and blue font colors only.
Use APA style for referencing and citation. For guidance, search “APA reference style” daily and read various websites containing information for better understanding or visit http://linguistics.byu.edu/faculty/henrichsenl/apa/APA01.html
Rules for Marking
Please note that your assignment will not be graded or graded as Zero (0), if:
It is submitted after the due date.
The file you uploaded does not open or is corrupt.
It is in any format other than MS-Word or Open Office; e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, PDF,
It is cheated or copied from other students, the internet, books, journals, etc.
Note related to load shedding: Be Proactive
As you know that Post Mid-Term semester activities have started and the load shedding problem is also prevailing in our country. Keeping in view the fact, you all are advised to post your activities as early as possible without waiting for the due date. For your convenience; the activity schedule has already been uploaded on VULMS for the current semester, therefore no excuse will be entertained after the due date of assignments or GDBs.
MGT503 GDB 1 Solution and Discussion
Total Marks 5
Starting Date Monday, January 13, 2020
Closing Date Friday, January 17, 2020
Question Title Decision Making Styles
The basic objective of this discussion is to familiarize students with different decision making styles.
After participating in this GDB;
Student will learn regarding application of appropriate decision making style at workplace.
Ms. Sana is responsible for the management of daily activities on the production floor in a textile firm. In order to keep the workflow smooth and steady, she takes all the decisions related to employee’s daily production-related assignments. She independently analyzes production schedules on a regular basis and decides about changing defective machines which disrupts the production process. She posts clear instructions regarding employee’s assignments on the department’s notice board leading employees to perform their tasks perfectly.
In WinSum Textile Company, the new CEO called a meeting with the Board of Directors. In the meeting, they discussed the possible Joint Ventures with other companies. Many aspects of joint ventures came under discussion but still, it requires more consultative sessions and time for a final decision.
Point of Discussion:
In your opinion, which decision-making styles are used in Case A and B? Justify your answer with two logical reasons for each case.
Maximum Word Limit:100 words
Keep you discussion with the mentioned scenario and irrelevant answers and material will not be graded.
Be careful from those blogs who are promoting cheating culture among our students and killing their creativity and critical thinking. Answers copied from such blogs will be straightaway marked as zero. Similarly any relevant or irrelevant material copied from internet sources will get the same treatment. It can seriously damage your grades.
For acquiring the relevant knowledge, do not rely only on handouts but also watch the course video lectures and read additional material available online or in any other mode.
· Your discussion must be based on logical facts.
· The GDB will open and close on above specified date and time. Please note that no grace day or extra time will be given for posting comments on GDB.
· Use the font style “Times New Roman” and font size “12”.
· Your answer should be relevant to the topic i.e. clear and concise.
· Do not copy or exchange your answer with other students. Two identical / copied comments will be marked Zero (0) and may damage your grade in the course.
· Books, websites and other reading material may be consulted before posting your comments; but copying or reproducing the text from books, websites and other reading materials is strictly prohibited. Such comments will be marked as Zero (0) even if you provide references.
· You should post your answer on the Graded Discussion Board (GDB), not on the Moderated Discussion Board (MDB). Both will run parallel to each other during the time specified above. Therefore, due care will be needed.
· Obnoxious or ignoble answer should be strictly avoided.
· You cannot participate in the discussion after the due date via email.
· Questions / queries related to the content of the GDB, which may be posted by the students on MDB or via e-mail, will not be replied till the due date of GDB is over.
· For planning your semester activities in an organized manner, you are advised to view schedule of upcoming Assignments, Quizzes and GDBs in the overview tab of the course website on VU-LMS.