ENG510 Assignment 2 Solution and Discussion
Assignment No. 2
Total Marks: 20
• Upload your assignments in a proper format, i.e. MS word file. Corrupt files will be awarded zero marks.
• The assignments should be zoomed in at 100%.
• Please avoid plagiarism; plagiarized work will be marked zero.
• After the due date, the assignments submitted via email would not be entertained.
• Please avoid submitting copied assignments; otherwise, such a case would be referred to the discipline committee.
• The font color should be preferably black and font size 12 Times New Roman.
Q1. In this technological age of computers and social media, standard spellings and grammar are getting extinct. Shorthand English also called chat language is becoming a social norm. Most of the students use it in their academic writings and formal email communications even. You are supposed to pick and write 10 examples of chat language from the Facebook interface. (10 Marks)
Q2. Brown and Levinson outline four main types of politeness strategies: bald on-record, negative politeness, positive politeness, and off-record (indirect). Differentiate between negative politeness and positive politeness giving their exact definitions. Read the given statements carefully and label them with correct type of politeness strategy.
Sr. No. Statements Politeness strategy 1 Don’t forget to clean the blinds! 2 Could you please pass the rice? 3 Wow, it’s getting cold here. 4 You look sad. Can I do anything? 5 Leave it; I’ll clean it up later.